08 Dec How to Change Your Furnace Filter
Changing your furnace filter regularly helps your furnace run at the highest efficiency which lowers your heating (or cooling) bills.
How often should you change your filter?
In general, your filter should be replaced every 1-3 months. There are various factors that will help determine how often you should change your filter including:
- How many people live in your home? The more people, the more contaminants that will be present in the environment.
- Do you have pets? Furry family members shed fur and dander that is circulated by the HVAC system. If you have a pet (especially a dog), you should likely be changing your filter every month.
- Do you have allergies? If anyone in your household has allergies or asthma, more frequent filter changing can improve indoor air quality.
Here’s a tip: add reminders in your calendar to change your filter each month so you never forget.
How to change your furnace filter:
1. Make sure to turn off your thermostat before changing the filter.
2. Open or slide the door panel off of the furnace (if there is one). You might need a screwdriver to do this. Your furnace might not have a panel, but a slot on the side instead. Each furnace is a little different.
3. Locate the filter and carefully slide it out. Note the direction of the airflow so you know which direction to put the new filter in. There should be little arrows on the side of the filter.
4. Then determine what size filter your furnace needs. You can remove the filter that’s currently in your furnace to check the size. Look on the cardboard frame to find the dimensions. You can purchase new filters at Home Depot, Walmart, or even on Amazon. They usually come in a multipack so you’ll have extras for future use.
5. Replace the filter with a new one. Make sure that the airflow direction is pointed in the correct direction.
6. Put the cover panel back in place and that’s it!
There are many different types of filters that you can buy. As long as it’s the correct size, you can choose whichever brand you like although the most basic one should work just fine.
Please reach out to your property manager with any questions. We’re here to help.